Wildwood Days

July 31, 2008

So, I survived the trip to Wildwood.  It was a mixed bag of negatives and positives.  The biggest negative was feeling very out of place among a group of kids with an age range of 19 to 21.  Even though I don’t mind being alone and believe that solitude can be a wonderful thing, there were times when I felt extremely lonely.  Oddly enough, those weren’t the times when I was physically alone; it was when we were all together.  On those occasions, I spent a lot of time in my room.  The kids were great, and went out of their way to include me, but, much of the time I felt awkward being around them.

On the other hand, there were plenty of good times.  The weather was very accommodating, and I went to the beach five days out of seven.  The only reason I stayed away the other two days was because I was getting too dark from all that sun.    Usually, I went to the beach alone, but the young people joined me on a couple of occasions.  Here’s a shot of bathing beauties, Leigh and Alana.  (Leigh is on the left.)  Imagine me sitting next to those bodies!

Traveling to and from the shore was another negative.  Because of heavy traffic, what should have been a four hour drive turned into seven hours.  We headed for the beach almost as soon as we arrived in Wildwood.  Leigh’s boyfriend, Pat, and I were most anxious to see the ocean.

At one point, Pat bolted into the water and came back with this horseshoe crab.  (He released it right away.)

Another highlight of the trip was going out on a dolphin watch.  Leigh and Alana wore the matching t-shirts they bought on the boardwalk.

Here’s a short clip of some of the dolphins we saw.

This is an “extreme ride” Pat tried to convince me to go on with him.  Of course, I declined, and one of his friends went, instead.  They’re in the red seat.

The beach was about a mile from the rental unit, so that’s a two mile roundtrip walk.  In addition, the boardwalk is two miles long.  On average, I’d say that I walked four miles a day.  I wasn’t eating very much, and, in fact, felt hungry most of the time.  I knew I HAD to have lost some weight, and was looking forward to stepping on the scale when I got home.  You know what the scale showed me?  A one and a half pound gain.  I just don’t get it….

Friday was our last night in Wildwood, and we were treated to a fireworks display on the beach.

All in all, it was a pretty decent vacation.  I leave again next Thursday for the family fishing trip in Canada.  I don’t know how I’m going to handle being in the car for the fifteen hour drive.  My back has really been killing me lately.

I saw the pain management doctor yesterday and told him what the orthopedic guy said about sacroiliac joint injections.  The pain management specialist said that he had requested authorization for both Epidural Steroid Injections and SacroiliacJoint Injections, but, apparently, worker’s comp only authorized the ESI.  So, his office will now try to get authorization for the SJI.  The procedure has been scheduled for the end of August.  In the meantime, I am in terrible pain.

Song of the Day:  Wildwood Days by Bobby Rydell

13 Responses to “Wildwood Days”

  1. I got a little dizzy watching that ride!

  2. mercystreet said

    Sounds like fun, except for that crazy ride.

  3. Jim said

    Maybe salt air is fattening?

  4. Sunday said

    Oh, I wouldn’t worry about the weight gain–to make a long explanation short, do your clothes fit any differently? That’s usually the best way to tell if you’re losing weight (or inches).

    Also, yay! You got some relaxation! (Except the 7 hour drive….)

  5. hotelindialima said

    hey, it’s the new hil! hotelindialima.wordpress.com

  6. Sunshyn said

    We have that ride at the local miniature golf course. It practically hangs over the freeway. NO WAY! Neighbors are complaining because all the people screaming are disturbing the peace.

    Roll up a small towel for the car ride, for lumbar support. Tie it up with rubber bands (I use masking tape. Make it fit you comfortably.

    I’ll post soon, but we DID love “A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum.” Up close, very small stage. The old man tap danced his way around the hills of Rome. Hilarious.

  7. LeAnn said

    I love the video clips! How do you do that? I bet it was hard on those girls with you stealing all the attention from the guys on the beach!! You good lookin thing you!!

  8. LA said

    Absolutely cool! Love the vids.

    If there’s a next time I’ll go with you and we’ll be ‘outsiders’ together. Mwah! ~LA

  9. I soooo miss going to Wildwood. The only thing I hated about it was the loooong walk from the boards to the actual beach. That sand was always so hot! It isn’t that we don’t have beaches here in Texas..it just isn’t the same. (They call it “the beach” and I want my “shore” 😦

  10. Michael said

    I know that awkward feeling of being the odd person out, but it sounds like you made the best you could out of it. Good for them for including you. Now, about that 15-hour car ride… I can’t even imagine! Good luck.

  11. terri t. said

    I am sorry to hear that you are still in such terrible pain. Seems like the medical community around you make a lot of mistakes or just doesn’t clue you in on what your ins. will and won’t pay for. I hope you do get some relief. Thanks for sharing the pictures of the shore…

  12. karenfromphilly said

    From the time I was 9 until I was in Jr. High my family & extended family (aunts, cousins etc.) would rent a block of rooms in the El Capitan hotel on 23 % Surf. THose were the best days,,, I went down again for a soccer tournament in ’02 & was sad to see the motel had been torn down & replaced by condos, Hunts Pier (our very favorite) had fallen in disrepair, and the cool stores on the boardwalk were now all selling T’s, tattoos, or “head” gear. Glad to hear Wildwood seems to be making a comeback. I remenber the ocean being so far away from the boardwalk.

  13. Sasha said

    I just loved the video of the fireworks display! I hope that 15 hour car ride doesn’t do you in. The last time I was on a ride (almost) that long was when we moved up here. For two nights after I had awful leg cramps overnight. It was pretty horrible. 😦 Of course, sleeping on an air mattress the first two nights didn’t help at all.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: